Watercolor Texture Experiments, Foam

After reading a book by watercolorist Nita Engle, I decided to try an experiment using foam and watercolor to create a foam texture.

I agitated a mixture of cheap shampoo and dish soap in the kitchen sink, then took a small piece of Arches 140 lb cold press watercolor paper and lifted the foam off the top. I added a small amount of watercolor from the tube to several small containers, then dissolved them completely in a small amount of water. Using a straw, I then dropped areas of color onto the foam, then left it alone to dry for the rest of the day.

IMG_20151003_073541

The end result was pretty neat. Light, foamy texture. Subtle, but I am pleased with the results.

IMG_20151004_083559 IMG_20151004_072015

I’d like to find a way to create larger bubble textures sometime.

3 thoughts on “Watercolor Texture Experiments, Foam

    1. It’s so fun! I tried it on a 300 lb and a synthetic paper, too, but it turned out best on 140 lb cold press. In Nita Engle’s book, she did it on a hot press, and it looked much better! I’m going to do it again with my daughter on a sheet of hot press.

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s